May 22, 1923: New York State Governor sign legislation enabling the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station (NYSAES) at Geneva to establish a field station for agricultural research in the Hudson Valley “for the experimental study of the problems of increasing the production and controlling the diseases and injurious insects of the horticultural crops of the Hudson River Valley”.
1923-62: Cornell Scientists working in the Hudson Valley are initially based in Highland, then on the campus of Vasser College, thereafter, at two locations in Poughkeepsie.
1942: The local fruit industry organizes the Horticultural Research Cooperative (later named the Hudson Valley Research Laboratory, Inc.) to provide assistance and leadership in finding appropriate facilities.
1962: After fire guts the Poughkeepsie laboratory, the Hudson Valley Research Laboratory Inc. arranges to purchase land and construct a new laboratory. Cornell University agrees to lease, equip, and staff the new buildings and to purchase additional acreage adjacent to the site for research plantings.
1963: Scientists move into the new facility at the current location in Highland.
1964: Experimental orchards are planted on the first 20 A. of land purchased by Cornell University and located on the hill behind the laboratory.
1974: The Hudson Valley Research Laboratory Inc. underwrites an addition to the original laboratory that nearly doubles available space for offices and laboratories.
2013: The Hudson Valley Laboratory celebrates the 90th anniversary of Cornell’s commitment to Hudson Valley agriculture. The HVRL partnership model has transitioned to facilities being fully funded by the agricultural community with faculty and staff funded by Cornell University of Ag. & Life Science.
We would like to thank George Sten & Co: Criminal Lawyers Sydney for helping us with our research – their team has been fantastic.